Listed Building Insurance

Protecting the heritage of your home

Listed Building Insurance

Do you need to insure a listed building? Chances are you will require specialist home insurance cover, designed specifically for listed buildings.

Why do you need specialist listed building insurance?

Insurers use a standard set of assumptions for re-building costs for losses such as flooding, fire, subsidence and escape of water, such as burst pipes. These simply do not account for the additional costs associated with a listed property, for example:

  • Use of period materials and finishes such as quality aged timber.
  • Traditional construction methods that are far more expensive than standard such as thatch roofs and wattle and daub walls.
  • Possible additional planning consent to complete the works, leading to delays.

Sufficient alternative accommodation cover should also be built into your policy, should you have to vacate for a protracted period.

Why is specialist listed property insurance applicable to contents cover?

Standard home contents policies very often apply exclusions which may make your policy invalid.

Here are just a few reasons:

  • Traditional door locks that simply don’t meet standard insurance criteria.
  • You may not be permitted to fit window locks.
  • Traditional lead glazed windows don’t offer the protection of modern double glazing.

The requirement for specialist listed building insurance is also increased if you keep valuable jewellery, art and antiques on the property. At Highworth Insurance we have several specialist insurers who understand these issues and are both sympathetic and pragmatic when dealing with these sorts of situations.

The right listed property insurance for you

Special properties require specialist insurance and this is only too evident in the event of a claim. If you own or live in a Grade I or Grade II listed building or similar, then speak with our knowledgeable advisors at Highworth Insurance.

As specialist providers of listed building insurance, we can ensure that you have precisely the right level of cover in place for your property and contents, at very competitive premiums.

A detailed specialist valuation from an accredited surveyor or architect can help you to decide on rebuilding costs for insurance purposes. Alternatively, at Highworth Insurance, we can sometimes provide this valuation free of charge as part of your policy.

listed building insurance services

We would always recommend that you read policy wordings and key facts documents to fully appreciate the cover and any exclusions and limitations.
We Also Provide:

Call for a quote

01202 937430

Mon-Fri: 0900 – 1830

Sat: 0900 – 1230

Our specialist advisors will be happy to help with any questions you may have.

Tips & Advice

Use our regularly updated catalogue of helpful tips and advice for all insurance related topics.