Business Insurance

Shop Insurance for progressive independents

Shop insurance tailored to your business

Whether you have an artisan arts and craft shop, specialise in nursery and toys, have a hairdressers or run a busy independent fashion outlet, we can shape an insurance package to suit your business and your budget. We’ll take into account the relevant factors such as the scale of your business, amount of stock, whether you employ staff, the location, size and type of property. We’ll provide you with an individual retail insurance package that leaves you free to focus on your customers.

At Highworth Insurance we have put together a selection of shop insurance options which you may find beneficial:

  • Buildings insurance for your property, including any areas such as residential flats that are separately let or occupied.
  • Public liability insurance of £2m to cover injury to shoppers or others at your business premises.
  • Product liability insurance up to £2m to cover the sale of unsafe goods.
  • Employee liability insurance up to £10m for anyone assisting you in the course of your business.
  • Cover for your stock including up to a 25% increase at seasonal times such as Xmas.
  • General business contents insurance for items such as PC’s and furniture.
  • Legal expenses support such as a breach of the Health and Safety at work act 1974
  • Business interruption and alternative accommodation costs in the event of a relevant claim.
  • Up to £5,000 exhibitions cover and property in transit.
  • Up to £1,000 cover for loss of keys or damage to fixed signs

Retail insurance you can reply on – including public, product and employee liability

All retailers know that it’s a sensible precaution to have public liability insurance. With areas like food hygiene and fire procedures covered by government legislation, you need adequate protection. This also applies once you employ staff where it’s a legal requirement to have employee liability insurance. Your shop becomes a place of work for others and so becomes subject to health and safety legislation.

Although product liability is primarily a manufacturer concern, you too may become liable for faulty products. You should make sure that your goods are safe otherwise you may face legal action. You may find yourself being sued by anyone who has been injured or had their property damaged by your goods.

Your shop insurance package can include the following:

  • Buildings insurance– you may own the building where you operate your retail operation. It normally makes sense to insure the complete building as part of your retail package to ensure there are no gaps in cover. This can cover rental flats and other occupied parts of the building. Options to include accidental damage such as breaking sanitary wear or putting a foot through a ceiling can be included. Unusually constructed properties or those having a history of subsidence or flooding can often be covered with little or no increase in cost.
  • Business contents insurance – your business contents may cover a wide variety of assets. From simple items like furniture and PC’s through to expensive fixtures and fittings. Cover can extend to contents temporarily removed from your premises or when attending an exhibition.
  • Stock insurance –cover for your stock is important in a wide range of circumstances. Obviously theft needs to be covered, but also damage from smoke, fire and flooding. A burst pipe can wreak havoc in no time.
  • Public liability insurance that ensures your legal obligations are covered and that you don’t have to fret should there be trips and slips by customers.
  • Product liability insurance gives you the safety net when the manufacturer may not be liable as you’ve sold something in an unsafe condition.
  • Employee’s liability insurance – once you take on additional help then you technically become an employer. This could be anybody – whether a shop assistant or cleaner, if they are working for you, you take on the associated employer liabilities, including meeting the requirements of the Health and Safety at work act 1974
  • Legal expenses cover helps in those difficult disputes
    • Supplier contractual disputes for the sale and supply of goods
    • Employment issues concerning contracts of employment or any employment related legislation
    • Defence of criminal prosecutions and appeals against Improvement Notices under the Health and Safety at Work Act or the Food Safety Act.
  • Business interruption and alternative accommodation costs in the event of a relevant claim.
  • Up to £1,000 cover for loss of keys or damage to fixed signs and glass.
Our Specialist Advisors at Highworth Insurance can offer valuable advice concerning the various elements of retail insurance. They can help tailor a shop insurance policy to suit your business needs, ensuring you have the cover you require at competitive premiums.

Kindly be advised that not all options are available on all policies. We recommend that you carefully check your policy summary and policy wording for the exact cover applicable to your circumstances.

Call for a quote

01202 937430

Mon-Fri: 0900 – 1830

Sat: 0900 – 1230

Our specialist advisors will be happy to help with any questions you may have.

Tips & Advice

Use our regularly updated catalogue of helpful tips and advice for all insurance related topics.